Shabby Blogs

Thursday 31 July 2014

Picture frame

Hello and welcome to the last day of July!  Where does time go?

I have another makeover piece to share today.

Kay and Ian's house had a lot of purple accessories  They particularly liked two picture frames they had snaps from their wedding in.  Unfortunately the colour scheme just will not match their new house so again I tried a makeover.

This is how the frames started. 


I took one frame apart and found that the purple was actually painted on the underside of the glass.  I used sandpaper and had a go at removing it.  It worked but was taking a long time.

Next I tried a sharp blade.  This worked much quicker but left faint scratches.  I knew I could cover these but I wasn't too happy at having to.  I then accidentally stumbled on the easiest method of all.

I took some nail polish remover on a cotton wool pad to clean the glass.  It took the paint straight off!!  With this simpler method I stripped all the paint in no time.

As a neutral or green colour scheme had been requested I dug through my stash until I found the perfect blend.  I framed the picture with olive green and cream card, then covered the edge with gold glitter ribbon. 


I while ago Jen and I bought loads of gilding flakes and I thought this would be a good project for them.  I cleaned the glass thoroughly then laid double sided tape along the edges.  I covered with gilding flakes from Clarity Stamps.  This blend is Variegated Green.  Believe me the picture does not do justice to the beautiful colours in this.


I poured the flakes on to the tape and rubbed them down with my fingers.  Once I had the tape covered I used a  scootchy to remove any loose flakes and polish them up.  The end result was lovely.

This is what the frame looked like when I put it all back together again.  Beautiful!!


TTFN Jude xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, Thanks for stopping by today, please leave a comment as we love to hear from other crafty people. Take care Jen and Jude xxx

Two Crafty Sisters, Two Crafty Styles, One Crafty Blog!