Shabby Blogs

Friday 15 February 2013

First canvas....

Good morning all,

Hope you have all had a good week and are looking forward to a crafty weekend. I have been playing in the craft room with my new supplies, and I think I am officially in love with paints and inks and anything messy really lol. I hadn't tried anything like this until a few weeks ago and this week I have been brave enough to attempt my first canvas - ooohhh - and not just any canvas, no I had to make my first one a gift, didn't I?

Luckily he loves it, I made this for my hubby Alan, for valentines day. I have to admit I'm pretty pleased with it. I know there are a few things I will change the next time I do one, but all in all I don't think it came out too badly. What do you think?

I started by applying a layer of white Gesso to the canvas. Then I added a piece of white card to the left side, which I ran through a bark embossing folder and inked with weathered wood distress ink.

Next I added a piece of card to the right side, which I had printed with the words inside a fancy scalloped frame. I put a layer of white Gesso over these and then let them dry.

Next I sealed it all with a watered down PVA before applying a layer of black Gesso and then wiping it straight back off with a baby wipe.

I drew the heart on to a piece of card and then cut out the shape to make a stencil. I don't have any embossing paste as yet so I mixed acrylic paint with modelling paste to make it a bit thicker and then spread it through the stencil.

 
I added the little tag with a couple of brads and then found a little key in my jewellery stash to add to the bottom corner. 
The key was silver but I changed it to gold with treasure gold wax. I absolutely love this wax, this is the classic colour, but I can see the other colours making their way in to my craft room very soon :-))

I added a few ivy leaves to the top corner, and then painted around the edges and sides with black gesso to frame everything.

To finish it off I used the treasure gold to highlight the raised bits of the heart and on the ivy and around the edges.



Anyway that's all from me today, hope you like it, thanks for stopping by. See you soon

Jen
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, Thanks for stopping by today, please leave a comment as we love to hear from other crafty people. Take care Jen and Jude xxx

Two Crafty Sisters, Two Crafty Styles, One Crafty Blog!